Limited in person classes are being held at the Indio and Palm Springs offices, please call us if you would like to attend in person classes. We are continuing to see intakes in person AND via telehealth (Zoom). We are continuing our telehealth Intake, Transfer in, Group, Face to Face, and Education classes through the month of January. Thank you to everyone that has signed up for telehealth, we understand it may involve learning a new skill but we applaud your dedication to completing your classes.
If you are coming to the office for in person classes or an office appointment please wear a mask/face-cover. Please also bring your own pen to sign documents with. All in person classes are limited in size so staff and clients can observe physical distancing guidelines. PLEASE DO NOT COME TO THE OFFICE IF YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO COVID19, ARE FEELING SYMPTOMS, OR IF ANYONE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD MEETS THE CRITERIA ABOVE.
To attend telehealth (online) classes you will need to return the remote client services form
Please register and pay for all classes at least 72 hours (3 days) in advance. You can register more than 72 hours in advance but not less than 72 hours in advance. One week in advance is preferred if possible. Payments can be made at https://www.theawarenessgroup.org/pay/
We recommend keeping track of your class registrations and attendance using a digital calendar (outlook, apple calendar, google, etc) or a physical calendar. Write down the date and type of class you registered for, the date you paid, and the date the approval was received. If you have not received approval/denial and class is scheduled to begin in 24 hours or less please call the office.
If you sign up for a class and then do not attend it will count as an absence and there will be a $20 fee.
Zoom recommends adding firstname.lastname@example.org to your “safe sender” email list to make sure approval messages do not go to your spam/junk folder. This article may also help you find zoom messages if you are having difficulty.
If you need assistance joining a Zoom meeting please see this article. You can also call us to schedule an appointment for training on how to use Zoom.
To join a test meeting to check your speakers, camera, and microphone please visit this page.
When it is time to join the meeting please use the link in your approval email or calendar reminder to join. Trying to join using the meeting ID and passcode will not work. Please join 10-20 minutes in advance to work out any technical difficulties. If you join the meeting late you will not be allowed into class.
We recommend joining the meeting via laptop or tablet. If you must use your phone we recommend you have a stand of some sort–it is tiring to hold your phone for two hours. Please make sure your device is plugged in or has enough battery life to last the entire session.
You must be alone and in a quiet, private location to attend class or face to face. You cannot be taking care of children or otherwise distracted with household or work tasks. YOU MUST NOT BE DRIVING or in a vehicle with other people. You can attend from a vehicle if that’s the only private location but make sure you have a strong WiFi/Cell signal and the vehicle cannot be moving.
Available classes are listed below, all group and education classes are 2 hours in length:
Click to register for the Wednesday 10am GROUP for INDIO participants
Click to register for the Wednesday 10am GROUP for PALM SPRINGS participants
NEW–Please note Wednesday 4:30 will have a two hour group occasionally when other classes are full. It will not be held every week. Please double check the DATE of the class you are signing up for before making the request, make sure it is being held this week.
Click to register for the Wednesday 4:30 GROUP for INDIO participants
Click to register for the Wednesday 4:30 GROUP for PALM SPRINGS participants.
(Face to face and Phase II are below)
Click to register for the Thursday 10am-12pm EDUCATION class for INDIO participants
Click to register for the Thursday 10am-12pm EDUCATION class for PALM SPRINGS participants
Click to register for the Thursday 5pm EDUCATION for INDIO participants
Click to register for the Thursday 5pm EDUCATION for PALM SPRINGS participants.
Phase II / Re-Entry (final 6 months of the SB38 program)
All participants that need a PHASE II / RE-ENTRY Session can register for the Wednesday 5pm class here
Please note: there will be no Wednesday 5pm on 1/13/21 or 1/20/2021
Face to face (F2F) / Individual session / Exit Interview
Any participants that need FACE to FACE (Individual session) can
register for the Tuesday 1:00pm-2:30pm session here,
the Tuesday 2:30pm-4pm session here, the
Tuesday 4pm-6pm session here, or the
Friday 12:30pm-2pm session here.
Individuals are held via Zoom and will be seen first come first served. After registering and paying you will receive the meeting link. The counselor will allow one person into the meeting at a time from the waiting room. Do not be alarmed if you see a screen saying “the host will let you in shortly” this means you are waiting in line and will be seen in the order that you arrived.
SELF-HELP MEETING INFORMATION
To satisfy the self-help meeting attendance requirement here are your options (including three alternatives to in person AA/NA meetings). These options are available to those attending via telehealth and also to those attending in person classes.
- Attend an in person AA, NA, Al-anon, SMART Recovery, or other approved self-help meeting. Have the secretary of the meeting sign your blue card. Turn your blue card in to your counselor (for in person classes) OR submit to the front office OR email a scanned copy to email@example.com
- Type a 2 paragraph report on a news article related to DUI, alcohol, drugs, addiction, etc or a one page single spaced report on a documentary (film) pertaining to alcohol, drugs, and/or DUI effects on individuals, families and society. Pen & the Pad.com has a helpful summary of how to write a report on a news article. The news article + 2 paragraph report counts as 1 self-help meeting and the Documentary + 1 page report counts as 2 meetings. Send completed writing assignments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a link to the article you are writing about or the title of the documentary. All reports should be single spaced and typed. A documentary is a NON FICTION film/video. FICTIONAL MOVIES are not allowed.
- Register at stepchat.com where there are a variety of online 12 step meetings. You will need to make an account. After attending and participating in a meeting you must fill out the “Request Meeting Attendance Confirmation” form. Forward this confirmation to email@example.com and we will enter your self-help meeting attendance. Click here for information on how to log on to stepchat and how to navigate to a meeting room. Click here for tips for chat meetings. Click here for answers to other frequently asked questions including how to get confirmation of meeting attendance.
- SMART Recovery meetings will be held via Zoom every Friday from 9am to 10am. The meeting ID is 914 8619 0580 and the passcode is Beacon20 (case sensitive). Learn more about SMART Recovery here. The SMART recovery facilitator of the Friday 9am meeting will email proof of attendance directly to Awareness Group, no signature is required. Please note this is the only SMART recovery meeting accepted unless you are able to get your blue card signed at an in person meeting.
Class Registration Information
Please find your program below to find out which classes to register for. Click here for more information about the number of classes required for each program.
- SB38 (Multiple offender program): Register for group one week, register for face to face the next week. Continue alternating Group, face to face, group face to face, group, face to face. Can attend 1 education per week as well until all 6 educations are complete.
- SB1176 (Wet reckless): register for 1 education per week. Register for 1 face to face (exit interview) after all 6 educations are complete and you have submitted 3 self-help meetings.
- AB541 (3 month first offender): register for 1 group OR 1 education per week. Register for 1 face to face when halfway through the program and another face to face after completing all groups/educations/self-help meetings. CAN attend group/education + face to face the same week.
- AB1353 (9 month first offender) register for 1 group OR 1 face to face OR 1 education per week. CANNOT attend group/education + face to face the same week.
- AB762 (6 month first offender): register for 1 group OR 1 face to face OR 1 education per week. CANNOT attend group/education + face to face the same week.
- All DUI classes are $31 each. Please make your payment prior to registering for class
We thank you for your patience and participation during this time. We look forward to helping you continue making progress toward regaining your driver’s license and achieving your other goals.